Network Communications Expert
NETWORK COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH AND CONSULTING
Dr. Lavian is a technologist, a scientist and an educator with over 30 years of academic and industry experience. He has co-authored over 25 scientific publications, journal articles, and peer-reviewed papers. Dr. Lavian is a Sutardja fellow and lecturer at the UC Berkeley Engineering-Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology (SCET). Dr. Lavian is an expert in network communications, telecommunications, Internet protocols, and mobile wireless technologies. He is a named inventor of over 120 issued and filed patents.
Areas of Expertise
- Communication networks: Internet protocols; TCP/IP suite, TCP, UDP, IP, Ethernet, 802.3, network protocols, network software applications, data link, network, and transport layers (L2, L3, L4), data center network architecture
- Mobile wireless: Wi-Fi, 802.11 (a/b/g/n/ac), MAC, FHY, OFDM, DSSS, Wireless LAN (WLAN). Cellular systems, GSM, LTE, CDMA, FDMA, TDMA, mobile devices, smartphone
- Internet/cloud: Web applications, HTTP, e-mail, SMTP, POP, IMAP, Java, C/C++, file transfer FTP, client-server, cloud computing, distributed computing
- Routing/switching: LAN, WAN, VPN, routing protocols, RIP, BGP, MPLS, OSPF, multicast, DNS, QoS, switching, packet switching, network infrastructure, network communication architectures
- Unified Communications: PSTN, circuit switching, IP telephony, VoIP, SIP, RTP, SS7, video/audio conferencing, streaming media, SMS, instant messaging (chat)
Network Communications and Mobile wireless Expert Witness
Dr. Lavian is a network communications and telecommunications expert witness who provides litigation and technology education support in patent disputes and patent reexaminations. He served as an expert in over 60 patent-related cases. Dr. Lavian wrote expert reports and testified in depositions, in courts and in front of a jury. He testified in Federal courts, in USPTO PTAB IPRs, and in the ITC. Dr. Lavian was retained as an expert in cases involving leading companies, including: Google, Motorola, Microsoft, Cisco, Juniper, HP, T-Mobile, Ericsson, LG, Facebook, Samsung and Apple.
- Ph.D., Computer Science specializing in networking and communications, UC Berkeley
- M.Sc., Electrical Engineering, Tel Aviv University
- B.Sc., Mathematics and Computer Science, Tel Aviv University