Analyzing the merits of Internet and cloud computing software for patent validity and infringement often demands a sophisticated knowledge of the relationship between applications and their underlying communications service architecture.
Dr. Lavian’s academic and industry experience with the Internet and cloud computing—especially the OSI model as implemented through the TCP/IP stack—gives him a keen understanding of the logic behind business software as well as its component application, transport, network, data link, and physical layers. His expertise also extends to the hybrid architectures of legacy enterprise software systems.
Drawing on his experience designing and executing real-world network software, Dr. Lavian is conversant in:
- Architecture: web and client-server, cloud and distributed computing, peer-to-peer networking, virtual private networks, tunneling, content networking, network security and mobile applications
- Internet protocols: HTTP, e-mail, SMTP, POP, IMAP, FTP, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, DHCP, DNS, NNTP, POP, SIP, IPv4, IPv6, UDP, TCP and IPSec
- Programming languages and Software: Java and C/C++ plus software APIs, streaming, network management and content networking
When litigation concerns Internet or cloud computing software or architecture patents, copyrights or trade secrets, as an expert witness Dr. Lavian stands ready to review, analyze and compare underlying source code. In serving plaintiffs and defendants alike, his previous contributions have numbered Inter Partes Review (IPR) reports before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), patent infringement expert reports, depositions, and testimonies before both judge and jury.
It is challenging to understand the specifics of a full application stack from the business logic, through the application layer, the transport and network layers, the data links, and the physical layers. Dr. Lavian’s unique skills cover the full architecture spectrum from the enterprise application, through the cloud infrastructure to the nuances of communication protocols that connect them including the physical layer.
This breadth of technical experience allows Dr. Lavian to get involved as an Internet and Cloud expert witness in a software or architecture patent, copyright, or trade secret case, as well as review, analysis, and comparison of the underlying software source code.
Selected Patents – Internet and Cloud
In addition to his research and development work Dr. Lavian is also listed as an inventor of 120 patents. A few of the patents in the fields of Internet and Cloud and network security are listed below:
Selected Publications – Internet and Cloud
- “Applications Drive Secure Light-path Creation across Heterogeneous Domains, Feature Topic Optical Control Planes for Grid Networks: Opportunities, Challenges, and the Vision.” Gommans L.; Van Oudenaarde B.; Dijkstra F.; De Laat C.; Lavian T.; Monga I.; Taal A.; Travostino F.; Wan A.; IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 44, no. 3, March 2006, pp. 100-106.
- Lambda Data Grid: Communications Architecture in Support of Grid Computing. Tal I. Lavian, Randy H. Katz; Doctoral Thesis, University of California at Berkeley. January 2006.
- “Information Switching Networks.” Hoang D.B.; T. Lavian; The 4th Workshop on the Internet, Telecommunications, and Signal Processing, WITSP2005, December 19-21, 2005, Sunshine Coast, Australia.
- “Impact of Grid Computing on Network Operators and HW Vendors.” Allcock B.; Arnaud B.; Lavian T.; Papadopoulos P.B.; Hasan M.Z.; Kaplow W.; IEEE Hot Interconnects at Stanford University 2005, pp.89-90.
- DWDM-RAM: A Data Intensive Grid Service Architecture Enabled by Dynamic Optical Networks. Lavian T.; Mambretti J.; Cutrell D.; Cohen H.J; Merrill S.; Durairaj R.; Daspit P.; Monga I.; Naiksatam S.; Figueira S.; Gutierrez D.; Hoang D.B., Travostino F.; CCGRID 2004, pp. 762-764.
- DWDM-RAM: An Architecture for Data Intensive Service Enabled by Next Generation Dynamic Optical Networks. Hoang D.B.; Cohen H.; Cutrell D.; Figueira S.; Lavian T.; Mambretti J.; Monga I.; Naiksatam S.; Travostino F.; Proceedings IEEE Globecom 2004, Workshop on High-Performance Global Grid Networks, Houston, 29 Nov. to 3 Dec. 2004, pp.400-409.
Selected Presentations – Internet and Cloud
Dr. Lavian provides expert witness services in the area of Internet and Cloud design and implementation.